Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chicken Divan

I didn't actually end up making yesterdays recipe (but I promise it's good!) - our car broke down, so we had to deal with all that hoo-ha, but we did have Costco pizza...not quite as good, but it fed our bellies!  Tonight I'm planning on making Chicken Divan per David & Jonah's request.  This is a long time family favorite...growing up this was always my pick for my birthday dinner.  I've changed it up a bit over the years - we like less chicken, more broccoli and lots of curry!

  • 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I only use 1)
  • Large head of fresh broccoli, or a bag of frozen (I use 2 heads or 2 bags of frozen)
  • 1 can cream of mushroom
  • 1 can cream of chicken
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 3 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp curry powder (I use 2 heaping Tbsp)
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • Paprika (optional)
  • Cooked white rice

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Boil chicken breasts until no longer pink in the center.  Slightly cool, and then cut into cubes.  While chicken is cooking, steam broccoli (can microwave to save time) until just done (don't overcook - it will continue to cook in the oven).  Drain.  Meanwhile, combine cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, mayo, lemon juice, curry powder, and cheese together until well mixed.  Cover bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish with broccoli, and then layer with cubed chicken.  Pour soup mixture evenly over the top.  Lightly sprinkle paprika over the top for color.  Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until the top is bubbly and slightly browned.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  Serve over cooked rice.  Serves 6.

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: