Sunday, September 14, 2008

Stuffed Cabbage

Over the years I have found that there are a lot of things that I thought I didn't like to eat, but had never really tasted...cabbage being one of those.  I've actually found that I love it - yes, love it!  Lucky for me, both my boys love it too.  In fact when I told my 5 year old that we were having cabbage for dinner, he literally jumped up and down and said "yeah, cabbage!"  Weird, I know.  My mom used to make stuffed cabbage every now and then when I was a kid, but I always thought I hated it (because I thought I hated cabbage).  Its been a while since I've made it, so my husband doesn't even remember me ever making it, but he said it was incredible and I should make it more often.  I agree, it was good!

  • 12 ounces ground beef, pork, or turkey
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion (1 small)
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, un-drained
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice (I just used jasmine rice)
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano or thyme, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 8 medium to large cabbage leaves
  • 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (1 ounce) (I used T.J.'s Mexican blend)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano or thyme, crushed
  • 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese (1 ounce)
In a large skillet cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in un-drained tomatoes, water, uncooked rice, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. 

Meanwhile, trim veins from the back side of the cabbage leaves. Immerse leaves, four at a time, into boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until just limp. 

Stir the 1/4 cup cheese into the meat mixture. Place about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, carefully roll up each leaf, making sure folded sides are included in the roll (I had to use wooden toothpicks to hold some of them together - Don't forget to take them out before you eat them, though). 

For sauce, in a small bowl stir together tomato sauce, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish. Arrange cabbage rolls on the tomato mixture. Spoon remaining tomato mixture over cabbage rolls. Bake, covered, in a 350° oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Serves 4.

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: