Monday, October 13, 2008

Ode to Carrots!

The other day my son surprised me by saying, "Mom, can you buy me some carrots?  I want to bring some for snack at school...Did you know that carrots make you see in the dark?"  Well, how can I say no to a healthy snack?  Since I've been a slacker cooker lately (or rather I've only really made things I've already posted), I'm having to go to my old archives of favorites.  So to commemorate a joyous occasion (of my son requesting a healthy snack), here's 2 carrot recipes totally worth trying!

Cumin and Orange-Glazed Carrots

I think this may have originated from Gourmet Magazine, but I'm not really sure.
  • 3 navel oranges
  • 4 lb medium carrots, peeled
  • 3 1/2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
Cut out round from parchment paper to fit just inside 12” heavy skillet, then set aside. Squeeze oranges until you get 1/2 cup juice. Cut 1” slices of carrots. Heat oil in skillet over moderate heat until hot, but not smoking, then add cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add carrots, water, orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover carrots directly with parchment paper, then continue to simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. Remove parchment paper, then continue to simmer, stirring occasionally until most of liquid is evaporated and carrots are tender and glazed, about 20 minutes more. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with chopped orange (this is optional).

Serves 10. (can 1/2 the recipe if desired)


Vintage Press Carrots

The Vintage Press is the fanciest restaurant in the town where my husband grew up. Occasionally they have cooking classes where they teach you how to cook a meal, then feed it to you and send you home with the recipes (a great thing!).  My mother-in-law went to one and obtained this recipe. It is really easy, yummy and creamy (can you tell yet that my family and I like creamy?).
  • 1 lb carrots, peeled & cut
  • 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • salt & white pepper
  • ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup whipping cream
Cook carrots, drain. Combine ingredients in a blender. Serve immediately.


Julie R.

(Next time I make either of these I'll try to remember to take pictures)

No comments: