A few years ago my husband and I lived in Palm Springs. Our first week there we went to a restaurant called Hamburger Hamlet (which is all over LA), where I had their Santa Fe Chicken Salad. I thought it was so good that I went home and made it myself. I've made a coupe adjustments of the years.
(picture courtesy of Kraft Foods)
- Hearts of romaine (or any lettuce you choose)
- Corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
- Black beans (I also have used kidney beans)
- Tomato, chopped
- Cucumber, chopped
- Cheese (I prefer crumbled Queso Fresco, but you could also use shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
- Sliced red onion (optional)
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we've also used baked tofu)
- BBQ sauce
- Ranch dressing
Place chicken in skillet. Coat with bbq sauce (or marinade chicken ahead of time in sauce). Heat on med-high until chicken is cooked through. Toss desired ingredients together, top with ranch dressing, mix and enjoy!