Thursday, October 9, 2008

Santa Fe Chicken Salad

A few years ago my husband and I lived in Palm Springs. Our first week there we went to a restaurant called Hamburger Hamlet (which is all over LA), where I had their Santa Fe Chicken Salad.  I thought it was so good that I went home and made it myself.  I've made a coupe adjustments of the years.

(picture courtesy of Kraft Foods)
  • Hearts of romaine (or any lettuce you choose)
  • Corn (canned, fresh, or frozen)
  • Black beans (I also have used kidney beans)
  • Tomato, chopped
  • Cucumber, chopped
  • Cheese (I prefer crumbled Queso Fresco, but you could also use shredded Monterey or Pepper Jack)
  • fresh cilantro (optional)
  • tortilla strips or crumbled tortilla chips (optional)
  • Sliced red onion (optional)
  • boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we've also used baked tofu)
  • BBQ sauce
  • Ranch dressing
Place chicken in skillet. Coat with bbq sauce (or marinade chicken ahead of time in sauce). Heat on med-high until chicken is cooked through. Toss desired ingredients together, top with ranch dressing, mix and enjoy!

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: