Friday, January 9, 2009

Hawaiian Chicken

My kids have been sick and seeing that I have a 32 pound leech (aka my 1 1/2 yr. old) attached to my hip at all times, I haven't done much cooking...well, other than spaghetti, hot dogs, and chicken nuggets - real gourmet, I know!  I made this a couple of weeks ago and never got around to actually posting it.  This is a childhood favorite of mine that was passed on from a lady at church to my mom to me.  It really is very easy to make, it just takes a little time for the marinading.  

This recipe calls for chicken thighs, which I am not a fan of and I'll tell you why.  When I was a little girl (probably 10 or so), I remember standing at the sink with my older sister, removing the skin off the chicken thighs (back then it was very rare to buy boneless, skinless anything).  It totally grossed me out, but what really got me was there was still a few small fuzzy feathers attached.  How sick is that?  So ever since I don't buy chicken with the skin on it unless absolutely necessary and I NEVER buy chicken thighs.  I've been scared for life!
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper, optional
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Few drops of hot sauce, optional
  • Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or pork or beef) - I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts cute in thick halves
Mix ingredients together (minus the meat). Pour in Ziploc bag with boneless chicken thighs. Let marinade in fridge for a few hours or over night. Pour all in baking dish. Bake at 350° for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.  Serve by spooning sauce over rice with chicken.

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: