Thursday, May 7, 2009

Carrabbas (Copycat) Chicken Bryon

A long time ago, way back when my husband and I were first married and living in Utah, Carrabba's Italian Grill came to town.  We were dirt poor students, but we gathered our pennies and went to try it out.  I don't know what my hubby had, but I ordered the Chicken Bryon that came with garlic mashed potatoes or something.  Oh man, it was good.  I was able to go one more time before we moved, but have never been back since.  A couple years ago I came across this recipe and was SO excited!  It's like what I remember it tasting like, but to be honest its been like 8 years since I've tried it, so really I don't know if it is like it or not.  But I can tell you this...this recipe is awesome!  I love the buttery sun-dried tomato sauce and the tangy goat cheese...mmm!  Of course it always makes way more sun-dried tomato sauce then I actually use with the chicken, so when I made this last week, my husband put the leftover sauce on EVERYTHING for the rest of the week.  His favorite was frying eggs in the sauce part, then topping it with the tomatoes and goat cheese.  I didn't try it, but I have to admit it smelled and looked really tasty!  Doesn't it just look divine?

For the Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce:
  • 2 Tbsp butter 
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used chicken broth)
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 1/2 cup finely sliced sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Place butter, garlic, and onion in large skillet over medium heat and saute until garlic and onion are tender and transparent.  Add white wine (or chicken broth) and lemon juice.  Increase heat to medium-high and simmer to reduce by half.  Reduce heat to low.  Add cold butter one piece at a time.  Add sun-dried tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper and stir to blend ingredients.  Set aside.

For chicken:
  • 6 large chicken breasts
  • 1-2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 8 oz goat cheese, softened to room temperature
For grilling:
Reduce charcoal brisquettes to white-hot coals.  Brush chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill chicken over hot coals 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.  

For stove top:
Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, then place on skillet.  Cook evenly on both sides until cooked through

Divide goat cheese evenly between chicken breasts, placing some on each breast for the last two minutes of cooking.  

To serve place cooked chicken on serving platter and spoon Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce over chicken.

Serves 6.

No comments: