Sunday, June 28, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes

My family (including myself) are horrible about eating breakfast.  I just don't like most breakfast foods, or at least don't enjoy them much and my boys (hubby included) love breakfast foods, but just don't like to eat within the first 2 hours they're awake.  But by the time they do eat, they're cranky and starving...its frustrating.  This is a real struggle for me.  So I've been trying to find new yummy (but quick and easy and healthy) breakfast foods that they'll like and eat.  So I tried out this recipe for whole wheat pancakes - it came from a friend of a friend.  I admit I'm NOT a pancake fan.  I've never really liked them...I'll choke them down if needed, but I pretty much avoid them.  Love waffles...hate pancakes...weird, I know!  The batter seemed a bit runny, which made the pancakes pretty thin, but I actually liked it better that way.  All in all it turned out great.  The boys all ate and liked it and it was even healthy...yay, can't get better than that!
  • 3/4 cup whole-kernel wheat
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
Combine ingredients in blender; blend on medium to high speed for 4 minutes or until wheat mixture is smooth and creamy.  Then add:
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 2 tsp baking powder (the recipe says 2 tsp, but I think it might be 1/2 - your call)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
Add ingredients to wheat mixture and mix only until blended.  Bake immediately on hot griddle.

No comments: