Monday, July 27, 2009

Lemon Bars #1

We have a plethora of lemons here at our house and I feel so bad watching them just drop to the ground and rot (although the chickens do enjoy them), but I have too many things I'd rather be doing than picking lemons just to pick lemons. So I've decided I need to utilize them more (we can only drink so much lemonade before we get sick of it!). So I've decided to discover the best lemon bars. This was recipe #1. It was quite delicious, had the lemony tart, but something was missing. If you like lemon curd or lemon preserves, this is great. It has a little crust with a LOT of lemony filling. I like my lemon bars a little chewier, but I can't say I didn't like them. I pretty much downed a whole row by myself (somewhat to my credit - the short row, not the long one). So if you have (or know of) a good lemon bar (or any other lemony) recipe, let me know! Beware, this recipe makes a LOT. Next time I will definitely 1/2 it!

For the crust:
  • 1 cup butter, softened (supposed to be unsalted, but I like salt, so I don't bother)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
For the filling:
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 Tbsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 cup flour
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat oven to 350°.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light. Combine the flour and salt and with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a greased 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking sheet, building up a 1/2 inch edge on all sides. Chill for 15 minutes.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.

For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust
(crust does not need to be completely cooled) and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.

Cut into squares and dust with confectioners' sugar.

No comments: