Thursday, August 6, 2009

Vegan Chocolate Balsamic Cookies

I don't know what really possessed, inspired, caused me to make these cookies. I'm not a Vegan. Heck, I'm not even a Vegetarian. Although I really don't eat all that much meat on a regular basis and my hubby and I did go through a faze of our lives where we stuck to tofu, ate no red meat, and drank soy milk. We're still not big meat eaters, but really, I could NEVER give up my dairy! This was another one of my Tasty Kitchen finds. I guess I was just curious as to what they'd taste like. They were surprisingly good. The balsamic vinegar gave it somewhat of a fruity taste to it. I would be lying if I said they were the best cookies I've ever tasted, but I really do think I will make these again. I think next time, though, I might add a touch of cinnamon...that would kick it up a notch! I just gave my 6 year old one and he came back and snuck 3 more...he loved them!

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup flax meal
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnut or other nut, optional (I don't like nuts in my food, so I skipped this!)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil (I used coconut)
  • 2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp milk substitute (I used vanilla soy milk)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix flour, flax meal, cocoa powder, nuts (optional), and baking soda in one bowl and the sugar, oil, vinegar, vanilla, and milk substitute in another. Combine the two; mix well. Dough should be slightly dry (mine wasn't, so I added about a Tbsp more of sugar and flour). Roll dough into small balls and then flatten. Place on cookie sheet (line with parchment paper if you'd like). Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.

Only makes about 1 dozen medium-sized cookies.

No comments: