Monday, September 14, 2009

Chicken Croissant Rolls

Tonight I needed something quick, easy, and something that I had all the stuff for. So I made Chicken Croissant Rolls. I haven't made them in forever and I forgot how much my kids love them. I thought "Chicken Croissant Rolls" was too boring, so I asked my 6 year old what we should call them. His first response, "Death Balls." Well I supposed they are a heart stopper, but doesnt' sound too appetizing. So he changed it to "Chicken Balls." A little more pleasant I guess, but I think I'll just stick to the original name. This recipe calls for a sort of gravy made of Cream of Mushroom and milk. It's good, but I prefer to go a little more fatty, tasty, and easy. I prefer Country Gravy. I just use the McCormick's Country Gravy pack that you just add water to. Its great for Biscuits and Gravy too (not as good as the homemade stuff, but what packaged food is?). I like it anyway. I don't ever eat more than 1, 'cause they're too rich for me, but my son just downed 2 1/2! I guess he likes 'em!

  • 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or 2 cans chunk chicken)
  • 1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, chive & onion (or regular cream cheese and add some chives and chopped onion), softened
  • 1 pkg refrigerated croissant rolls
  • Seasoned bread crumbs
  • Melted butter
  • 1 can cream of chicken (or mushroom)
  • About 2 cups milk
Preheat oven to 375°. Cook the chicken until tender. Cool and shred. Mix chicken with the softened cream cheese in a small bowl. Roll out the croissant rolls, put a spoonful of chicken mixture at the wide end of the roll, fold over the sides and roll to seal mixture in. Roll in melted butter and then in the breadcrumbs (I like to add a little grated Parmesan to the breadcrumbs). Put in a muffin pan and cook for 20-25 minutes. While chicken rolls are cooking, heat up the cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup and the milk together, adding more milk if you want it runnier and less milk if you want it thicker. To serve, spread the soup mixture over the rolls like gravy.

No comments: