- 1 pkg (4oz) Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
- 1/2 c water
- 2 c flour (for gluten-free, use 2 c Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour...we've only used Bob's Red Mill brand so far)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c (2 sticks) butter, softened (if making dairy-free, use 1 c dairy-free substitute...we've used Nucoa dairy-free margarine)
- 2 c sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla (make sure its gluten-free...vanilla w/alcohol can contain alcohol w/gluten in it, so watch out)
- 1 c buttermilk (dairy free option: 1 c milk substitute (soy, rice, coconut, almond milk) plus 1 Tbsp vinegar...let it sit for 10 minutes to sour up a little)
Microwave chocolate and water in large microwavable bowl on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition.
Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir into batter. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small metal spatula around cake layers. Cool in pans for 15 minutes; remove layers from pans to wire racks. Discard wax paper. Cool cake layers completely. Frost & enjoy!
Makes 16 servings.