Saturday, September 27, 2008

Viva la Chicken

This is another recipe I've obtained from my mom.  The first time I made it I couldn't find any cans of green chili salsa (the truth is I didn't much look), so I used green chilies (yeah, I don't know what I was thinking), so it didn't exactly turn out.  It was interesting.  So now I know what I'm doing and where to find the salsa (in the Mexican food section in the grocery store - usually by the salsas, but sometimes by the canned peppers), so it turned out great.
  • 4 whole chicken breasts
  • 1 dozen corn tortillas
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 onion, grated
  • 1-2 (7 oz each) cans green chili salsa (I use Embasa's Salsa Verde-use 2 cans for a little more spice and chili flavor)
  • 1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese
Wrap chicken in foil and bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender (or steam).  Bone and cut into large pieces.  Cut tortillas into 1" strips or squares.  Mix soups, milk, onion, and salsa.  Butter a large shallow baking dish (9x13x2).  Put 1-2 Tbsp juice from chicken in bottom of dish, then tortillas, then soup mixture, and then chicken.  Continue layering till all ingredients are used, ending with soup.  Top with cheese.  Let stand in refrigerator for 24 hours.  Important!  Bake at 300° uncovered for 1 to 1-1/2 hours (Good for a "make ahead" meal.  Since we're a small family, I like to use 2 8x8x2 baking dishes and freeze one for another time).  

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: