Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Healthier Oatmeal Chip Cookies

Over the years I've adapted this from a few Oatmeal Chocolate Chip recipes.  This is much healthier than most, but a cookie is still a cookie.  I made these the other night and they were so delicious!  This made a ton of cookies, so I only used 1/2 the dough and froze the rest for later.  Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures both times I made them - it wasn't until after they were all eaten and there was 1 batch in the oven left that I remembered.  But of course I accidently hit the temperature gage on the oven and raised it to 500° (oops), burning my last batch...bummer!  I used craisins, but you can use raisins or nuts as well.  And of course you can always add or subtract chocolate chips.
  • 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or all-purpose if you'd like)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar (or brown Splenda)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or Splenda)
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup (6-oz) chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate)
  • 1 cup Craisins (or 1 cup raisins or 1/2 cup chopped nuts)
Preheat oven to 375°.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; put aside.  In a large mixer bowl, beat together brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, and applesauce.  Beat in egg whites and vanilla.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and craisins (or raisins or nuts).  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.

Bake at 375° for 9-10 minutes for a chewy cookie or 12-13 minutes for a crispier one.  Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.  

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: