Monday, March 16, 2009

Cake Balls

I keep seeing these cake balls and cake pops everywhere!  I don't know where they originated from, but Bakerella has popularized them.  She makes the most amazing creations!  I finally decided to make them.  I realized that I absolutely stink at dipping things in chocolate (just check out my green pop).  I also learned the hard way some tricks in melting chocolate in the microwave.  I know that you're supposed to melt it at 30 second intervals and I melted the green chocolate (for St. Patrick's Day) good.  It just seemed a little too thick, though so I put it back in...big mistake.  It totally dried out and was SO nasty looking.  So I had to chuck it and use my good ol' T.J. milk chocolate chips, which turned out to be awesome!  After a while I got the hang of it, so if I keep this up, I might not stink at dipping chocolate after all.  These turned out really yummy and I can't wait to try different flavors and actually try decorating some!

  • 1 cake mix, any flavor (either box or from scratch)
  • 1 tub of frosting (about 2 cups), at room temperature (I used Rainbow chip, but the Bakerella prefers Cream Cheese frosting)
  • chocolate for melting (dipping chocolate, chocolate chips, chocolate bark, etc)
  • sucker sticks
Bake 9"x13" cake according to package.  Cool thoroughly (can stick in fridge to speed up, but make sure dish has cooled first).  Crumble cake into large bowl (if needs be, use a food processor...you want it real small crumbs).  Poor in frosting and mix.  Form into balls and place on cookie sheet covered with wax paper.  Place in fridge for a couple hours or in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  You want them nice and cold an solid or else they will crumble on ya.  Melt chocolate either over a double boiler or in the microwave checking at least every 30 seconds (Don't let it dry out like I did!).  If making cake balls, drop balls in chocolate and drizzle with chocolate with a spoon.  Remove with a spoon...tap the side of the bowl with the spoon to get extra chocolate off.  Place on wax paper to harden.  If you're making cake pops, place stick in cake ball and dip in chocolate, drizzling with a spoon as well.  When they've hardened, enjoy!  

If you really want to get creative, check out Bakerella's blog for great ideas and step-by-step directions.  Good luck!

No comments: