Sunday, July 12, 2009

Texas Potatoes

There are so many variations of this recipe.  Some people call it Potato Casserole, some Funeral Potatoes, but I've always known them as Texas Potatoes.  This was a recipe my mom got from a lady at church many, many years ago.  It goes great with Individual Meatloaves...my husband LOVES the combo!  I usually double the cornflake topping for a crunchier bite and since we have a smaller family, I usually put it in 2 8x8 pans and freeze the 2nd pan for another day.  I forgot to take a picture before it was devoured...can you tell my boys like these potatoes?

  • 1 (32 oz or 2 lb) bag frozen potatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp salt (optional)
  • dash of pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 1 (16 oz) carton sour cream
  • 2 cups cornflake crumbs mixed with 1/4 cup melted butter (I double this, so 4 cups cornflakes & 1/2 cup butter)
Preheat oven to 350°.  Combine potatoes (it cooks faster if you defrost the potatoes first), onions, and cheese in a large bowl.  Combine soup with butter and heat until butter is melted.  Remove from heat and stir sour cream into soup mixture.  Pour over potatoes and blend carefully.  Pour into 9x13 pan (or 2 8x8 pans) and top with crumb mixture.  Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.

No comments: