Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie

My sister-in-law gave me this recipe - it's quick, easy and delicious!  I made it tonight and I forgot how much I love it!  I seem to have misplaced my pie pan, so I just made it in an 8"x8" square baking dish...it worked out just fine...so that's why I have a square chicken pot pie.

  • 1 pkg frozen peas and carrots *
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup onion, chopped
  • 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups chicken, cooked and cut-up (or 2 cans of canned chicken)
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2 pie crusts (Pillsbury’s refrigerated pie dough works best)
Preheat oven to 425°. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir for one minute. Stir in chicken, peas, and carrots; remove from heat. Place one pastry in pie pan. Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined pan. Place second pastry over mixture. Fold edges under first pastry and flute. Vent for stream. Foil wrap edges to keep from over-cooking. Bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden brown.

This recipe can be made ahead and frozen/refrigerated.  

*If you'd like, you can substitute the frozen peas and carrots for any vegetables (fresh or frozen)...Zucchini, green beans, corn, etc.

Julie R.
AG, CA

No comments: