Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spiral Stromboli

I don't know if I've posted a stromboli recipe before (and I'm too lazy to check), but I made this tasty meal (from Taste of Home) the other night and man was it a hit! My son (again) asked if I could make this every day. It was a hit with my other 2 boys as well (yeah, I'm on a roll lately!). It didn't turn out very big, so next time I'll probably make 2, but it was yummy. I think the peppers made it! If you want you can serve it with a side of marinara sauce. These are great for parties, baby showers, etc. My sister-in-law is like the queen of stromboli. She fills them with all sorts of stuff. For example you can go traditional pizza with pepperoni, sauce, and mozzarella or you can use pesto and turkey slices with cheese and spinach. You can even make a veggy one with spinach, peppers, mushrooms, etc. There are so many possibilities!

  • 1 tube (11 oz) refrigerated crusty French loaf
  • 3/4 to 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 3/4 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 lb thinly sliced deli salami
  • 1/4 lb thinly sliced salami
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers or 1 jar (2 oz) pimientos, drained
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 to 3 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
Unroll the dough and pat into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheese to within 1/2 in. of edges; top with meat and red peppers. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; seal seam and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with butter; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice with a serrated knife.

Serves 4.

Julie R.

No comments: