Monday, January 4, 2010

Cheese Fondue

I can't believe its been like 2 months since I've posted last. I apologize! I had quite the sick spell...having morning (okay, all day) sickness REALLY bad for 4 months straight, then getting this nasty head cold sickness for 2 weeks. I finally got over it all and the holidays arrived. Where has the time gone? I really haven't cooked anything new in the last couple months, but for New Years I DID take a whirl at making fondue. Cheese fondue is a New Years tradition in my family. We always have it and its always good. My mom broke her leg right before Christmas, so since she wasn't up for the deed, I stepped in. I was a bit nervous...here's how she told me to make it..."I use apple juice, take all the cheese I have [she gets Hickory Farms packages every year that always have a variety of cheeses], and melt it all together." Um, that was hard for me. I love fondue, so I didn't really feel comfortable just winging it. But I did. And it turned out wonderful! My husband discovered a wonderful concoction. He put some fondue on his bread, then spread a little Cheesy Roasted Red Pepper Dip on it. Oh man, that was good! Heart stopping, but good!

(photo from Seduction Meals)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups apple juice (traditionally uses wine, but I'm not a wine drinker, so I prefer juice)
  • 7-8 cups shredded cheese (use a variety! This year I used about 6 cups of Jarlsburg Swiss, a cup of sharp cheddar and about a cup of those little round cheeses rapped in red wax and wrapping)
  • 1/2 to 1 clove garlic, minced
  • Cubed bread (and/or cut veggies, meat, or anything else you would like to dip)
Heat a medium sauce pot on medium heat. Rub minced garlic on bottom of pan. Pour in apple juice (start with 1 cup and add more if needed after adding the cheese); bring to a boil. Slowly add in shredded cheeses. Constantly stir until cheeses have thoroughly melted. If it seems to thick, add a little more apple juice at a time. If it seems to thin, dissolve some corn starch in water and add to your fondue to thicken it a bit. You want it to be a thick enough consistency so it will coat your bread, but not to thick so as to slide right off. When done, keep in the pan and dip your bread with a fork into your fondue, or place cheese mixture in a fondue pot and enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie, I just got a fondue pot as a bday gift, so I was glad to see this recipe! Thanks! :)

Jen Anthony